Uganda: NDA Withdraws Dangerous Drugs, Vaccines
The National Drugs Authority (NDA) has recalled six types of drugs and vaccines from the market after investigations indicated that they were not safe for public use.
A statement issued by the drugs regulatory body yesterday indicated that the drugs meant for both humans and animals were of poor quality, unsafe and ineffective. Some of the recalled drugs include Univittal manufactured by Unichem Laboratories Ltd, hydrapres injection supplied by Laboratorios, SA-Bercelona, Spain and Agonal whose generic name is Nalidixic Acid from Agog Pharma Ltd, India. Others are Vitamin B Complex injection manufactured by Anhui Chengshi Manufacture Medicine Co., China, Lyopox + PPR manufactured by MCL Santé Animale based in Morocco and Netvaicain plain manufactured by Swiss Parenterals Pvt Ltd, of India In an interview yesterday, Ms Kate Kikule, the head of NDA Drug Inspectorate Services said after investigations, some drugs were found to have questionable efficacy whereas others had been wrongly branded by the manufacturers. “We routinely conduct investigations following complaints from the people, hospitals and clinicians. If a drug does not meet safety standards after laboratory tests, it is recalled through the manufacturer,” Ms Kikule said. She added: “After tests, we found out that the powdered substance of Hydralazine injection, a medication used to treat hypertension was not dissolving.” As result, she said that once a substance fails to dissolve that means a drug cannot be used by the consumer. National Medical Stores general manger Moses Kamabare said he had earlier complained to NDA over the effectiveness of one of the drugs. He said the drugs were recalled by the supplier about two months back and they are now waiting for replacement. Ms Kikule said a wrongly branded drug such as the Bupivacaine Injection BP 0.5% can misleed clinicians while administering these drugs thus causing adverse side effects to patients. She said Agonal, whose tablets had turned moldy and black, can cause pain and also stomach upsets once taken by a patient.