Medical doctors in Ekiti State under the aegis of the Nigerian Medical Association ( NMA) have declared an indefinite strike over the kidnap of two medical personnel in the State. In a letter made available to journalists in Ado-Ekiti by the state’s NMA Chairman, Dr. John Akinbote, the doctors said they have also made their position known to the Governor, Ayodele Fayose.
A former Chief Medical Director at Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital, Dr. Patrick Adegun, and a theatre Nurse with the Federal Teaching Hospital, Ido Ekiti, Mrs Margaret Aladeneka were seized at different locations in Ekiti some days ago. Until Saturday, the duo, who were abducted alongside their spouses, were yet to be found.
The Ekiti State NMA’s decision to withdraw all clinical services in Ekiti State was taken at an Emergency General Meeting held on Friday in Ado Ekiti. “As a result of the above development, the house unanimously resolved to withdraw all clinical services in Ekiti State until the safety of our members can be guaranteed,” the letter stated.
The association had earlier raised the alarm over incessant harassment and attacks of doctors and other health workers in the state calling on the State Government and Law Enforcement Agencies to curtail the incidents. It also called on the government to expedite action on the implementation of the adjusted revised Consolidated Medical Salary Scale Circular issued by the Federal Government since January 1, 2014.
The Special Assistant to the Governor on Information, Mr Lanre Ogunsuyi, has, however, expressed worry about the situation. He appealed to the doctors to shelve their resolve to suspend work, saying such step won’t be in the interest of the State, particularly for those with critical ailments. Ogunsuyi said, “Police and State Government will make Ekiti secured for health workers and every worker in the State. We will put in place good measures for people to be able to move without hindrance.”