The explosion, which occurred in her family’s residence at Azuiyiokwu area of Abakaliki also affected her two siblings, Linda (8) and Chiemerie (10), who were severely burnt and have been rushed to a private hospital.
It was gathered that Ifeoma was rushed to the Federal Teaching Hospital, Abakaliki where she later died because of the ongoing doctor’s strike. According to her father, Mr. Simeon Nwofe, the explosion occurred as Ifeoma was trying to light their lantern after power failure, thus fueling suspicion that the kerosene might have been adulterated.
Mr. Nwofe, who hails from Izzi Local Government Area of the state, said his late daughter just came back from school on mid-term break. “After hugging her younger ones who were elated due to her arrival, she attempted to put on the lamp and the explosion occurred,” he stated. He said that her remains had been taken to their hometown for burial.
In a reaction, the Special adviser to the State Governor on Petroleum Products, Pricing and Distribution, Mr. Ejem, lamented the development and promised to get to the root of the matter. “We will conduct a thorough investigation into the incident and prosecute those culpable in the act. The State Government has been doing its best to rid the state of adulterated petroleum products but this effort is being thwarted by unscrupulous elements who deal on such products,” he stated.