Plateau State government yesterday confirmed the killing of eight persons as a result of chlorine exposure but said 101 persons were presently receiving treatment at various hospitals in the state.
A statement issued by the Director of Press and Public Affairs to the Governor, Samuel Emmanuel Nanle, said an excess chlorine inhalation from an exploded chlorine cylinder by residents around the Lamingo Water Board treatment plant had led to the hospitalisation of 101 persons.
He said the victims were receiving treatment at Our Lady of Apostles Hospital, Evangel Hospital (Jankwano), Plateau Specialist Hospital and Air force Hospital but said some of the patients have been discharged.
He said the eight deceased had died from inhalation of the contaminated air but stressed that the contamination had been contained and does not affect the water which has been supplied to public mains.
“Water from the public mains is safe for consumption and is not affected in anyway by the aerial contamination of chlorine from the exploded cylinder,” the statement stressed.
While commiserating with families of victims of the industrial hazard, the government said immediate measures have been taken to address the issues of expired components of the treatment plant and to guard against future reoccurrence of such incidences.