The Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, on Monday assured the survivors of the Nyanya explosions that necessary measures would be taken to ensure their speedy recovery and well-being.

Chukwu gave the assurance when he visited the National Hospital in Abuja to ascertain the casualties from the scenes of the explosions.

He said further that all relevant agencies were on the ground to ensure that victims received the necessary care and support.

“ We have been trying to coordinate things since morning, looking at how we are managing every victim whether dead or alive, and whether injured or not injured and the relatives themselves.

“We have been able, since morning, to get different agencies to begin to work. The national blood transfusion service has been visiting various hospitals.

“They are working with the hospital authorities there so that blood should not be an issue.

“They have placed announcements on some of the radio stations asking volunteers to come and donate. So they are also attending to those willing to donate blood. So I believe blood will not be an issue.

“We have also been told of various agencies that have been bringing supplies to assist in whatever way.’’

The minister added that designated desks would be set up in various hospitals to attend to the relatives of victims and assured them that they would be given all the support they needed.

Chukwu, however, said it was difficult to ascertain the number of casualties in various hospitals, saying that efforts were ongoing to collate figures.

He assured the public that the appropriate agencies would be able to give the definite figures of casualties as soon as possible.

The minister said so far, 47 patients were brought alive to the National Hospital while 15 bodies had been deposited at the hospital’s mortuary, six females and nine males.

Prof. Bello Shehu, the Chief Medical Director of the National Hospital, said that the management was doing all it could to manage the situation.

No Comments

Leave a Comment