Garlic (Allium sativum), a herb used widely as a flavoring in cooking, has also been used as a medicine throughout ancient and modern history to prevent and treat a wide range of conditions and diseases.
Garlic belongs to the onion genus Allium, and is closely related to the onion, rakkyo, chive, leek, and shallot. It has been used by humans for thousands of years and was used in Ancient Egypt for both culinary purposes and its therapeutic benefits.
The only natural herb known to contain enough power potent enough to fight Cancer cells in the human body is ‘GARLIC’.
Recognised by its unpleasant smell, Garlic is very rich in sugars, proteins, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iodine, silicone, vitamins A, C, B1, B2, B3, sulphur compounds, and oil soluble nutrients.
Compounds found in Garlic
Presence of Sulphur in Garlic is the cause of its pungent smell. However, the quality of Garlic cannot be overridden due to this smell.
Allicin is a natural antibiotic found in garlic. Proven to be stronger than tetracycline and penicillin.
AJOENE is another compound found in Garlic which impedes the formation of blood clots in the arteries. Thus, helps to prevent Stroke and control cholesterols levels in the blood.
Garlic is also very rich in SELENIUM. This indispensable element is used in the neutralization of free radicals which helps to prevent several illnesses.
Selenium is an antioxidant, helping to slow the effect of cell oxidation and Aging
Combined with vitamin A and E, the rejuvenating power of Seleniun and Ajoene are increased.
Another compound found in Garlic is called SAPONIN. This compound also helps to lower blood pressure, thus preventing stroke.
Fructose is also found in garlic. It helps to stimulate the immune system.
Below are the numerous health benefits of Garlic.
1. REDUCTION OF FAT IN THE BLOOD – It has been demonstrated and proven that Garlic promotes a decrease in low density lipoprotein (dangerous) from about 22% to 7% and increases high density protein (favorable) from 15% to 31%. In addition, it lowers cholesterol and triglycerides by 15% to 20%.
2. PREVENTS HYPERTENSION – Garlic acts as a vasodilator which helps to widen the blood vessels, making blood flow smoother. This helps to lower blood pressure. Experiment shows signs of this effect in more than 75% of people and patients.
3. HEART RELAXANT – Garlic regulates the cardiac rhythm of the heart, helping to avoid Arrhythmia. This is beneficial for people who have accelerated heart rate and Cardiac Arrhythmia.
4. ANTI-DIABETIC – Garlic is a huge help with people living with diabetes and helps to prevent it as well because it helps to lower the glucose in the blood. This is due to the fact that it increases the secretion of Insulin. Insulin is in charge of regulating normal sugar levels in the blood.
5. DIGESTIVE AID – Taking Garlic prevents the blockage of gastric, pancreatic and intestinal juices which are responsible for digesting the nutrients. It also helps to promote, relax and tone the Digestive system.
6. MUSCLE TONER – Muscles can be toned by taking Garlic which then can sustain an extra amount of work. It is also a great muscle relaxant. It is said that Babylonians before Christ used it for vigor and extra vitality.
7. LUNGS DECONGESTANT – Garlic works as a great lung decongestant helping to loosen the harmful, infectious secretion of bronchial tubes. In addition, it helps to prevent cold and flu. Garlic plus some Chili pepper work as good expectorants.
8. ANTIBIOTIC AND GERMICIDAL POWER – Garlic is very effective in destroying bacteria like staphylococcus, streptococcus, salmonella, and other germs that cause diarrhea, Gastrointestinal and Bronchio-pulmonary infection. It also works on fungal infections like Ringworm and Candidiasis.
9. HYPERTHYROIDISM – Garlic contains a lot of iodine which helps people who suffer from Hyperthyroidism, a deficiency of this mineral.
10. ANTI-RHEUMATIC – Ground garlic mixed with hot aloe lotion calms and eases pain caused by inflamed and aching joints.