Cucumbers are the fourth most cultivated vegetable in the world and known to be one of the best foods for your body’s overall health, often referred to as a super-food.
Cucumbers are often sprayed with pesticides so it is important to buy organic or even better, grow them yourself.
Cucumbers are a good source of B vitamins. Instead of soft drinks or coffee, eat a cucumber slice.
Cucumbers also help to clean the home, rub a cucumber slice along a mirror and it will eliminate the mirror fogging up. Instead of cleaning chemicals, take a cucumber slice and rub it along a squeaky hinge and your door will stop squeaking.
1. Rehydrates body and replenishes daily vitamins
Cucumbers are 95 percent water, keeping the body hydrated while helping the body to eliminate toxins. Cucumbers have most of the vitamins the body needs in a single day. Don’t forget to leave the skin on because the skin contains a good amount of vitamin C about 10 percent of the daily-recommended allowance.
2. Cares for your skin and hair.
If you don’t like to eat the skin, it can be used for skin irritations and sunburns. Place a slice over puffy eyes and its anti-inflammatory properties will help reduce puffiness. The silicon and sulfur in cucumbers help to stimulate hair growth.
3. Fights cancers – Cucumber are known to contain lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and other substances. These have a strong history of research in connection with reduced risk of several cancer types, including breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and prostate cancer.
4. Relieves bad breath
Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds, the phytochemicals will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
5. Cures Hangover.
To avoid a morning hangover or headache; eat a few slices of cucumber before going to bed. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish many essential nutrients, reducing the intensity of both hangover and headache.
6. Aids in weight loss and Bowel Movement – Due to its low calorie and high water content, cucumber is ideal for people who are looking for weight loss. The high water content and dietary fiber in cucumbers are very effective in ridding the body of toxins from the digestive system, aiding digestion.
Daily consumption of cucumbers can be regarded as a remedy for chronic constipation.
7. Reduces cholesterol and Regulates Heart Function – Cucumber juice is said to contain a substance which is needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin which has been found to be beneficial to diabetic patients.
Researchers found that a compound called sterol in cucumbers may help reduce cholesterol levels.
Cucumbers also contain a lot of potassium, magnesium and fiber. These work effectively for regulating heart function. Cucumbers are therefore useful in both low blood pressure and high blood pressure.
8. Promotes joint health, relieves gout and arthritis pain -Cucumber is an excellent source of silica, which is known to help promotes joint health by strengthening the connective tissues. They are also rich in vitamin A, B1, B6, C & D, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium. When mixed with carrot juice, they may help in gout and arthritis pain by lowering the uric acid levels.