Glasgow art school blaze: Fire crews spend second day at the scene

Jun 17, 2018 0

Fire crews are spending a second day working to extinguish the blaze which has devastated Glasgow’s School of Art. Fire chiefs said the fire – which also badly damaged the nearby O2 ABC music venue – had largely been contained. Thermal imaging cameras are being used to identify any remaining hotspots. The fire service said it was too early to speculate on the cause, adding that forensic experts would not be able to gain access to the building until it had been made safe. Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon described the damage as “heartbreaking”. Friday night’s blaze is the second to hit the Charles Rennie Mackintosh-designed building in four years.   Also Read Billy Caldwell: ‘Let me treat epileptic son at home’, says mum ...

Read More

Billy Caldwell: ‘Let me treat epileptic son at home’, says mum

Jun 17, 2018 0

The mother of a severely epileptic boy who had his cannabis oil medication confiscated wants to meet the home secretary to discuss reforming the law. Charlotte Caldwell’s son Billy, 12, uses the oil as his anti-seizure medication and she wants to be able to treat him with it at home. The Home Office has granted a limited licence for the drug to be administered to the child in hospital for 20 days. Billy is being treated at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London. Ms Caldwell says her son’s seizures dramatically reduce when he takes the oil, which contains a substance called Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) that is illegal in the UK. On Monday Heathrow airport officials confiscated Billy’s supply – which Ms Caldwell had tried to bring in from Canada – and he was admitted to hospital after his seizures “intensified”. Home Secretary Sajid Javid later approved the use of cannabis oil after doctors made clear it was a medical emergency. The situation is under review. Ms Caldwell, from County Tyrone in... ...

Read More

South Africa: MEC Helen Sauls-August Announces Plan to Identify Ambulance Attackers

Jun 17, 2018 0

Eastern Cape Health MEC Ms Helen Sauls-August has announced that the department is roping in law enforcement agencies and security sector to deal with the spate of sporadic attacks on ambulances in various districts in the Province. In the past four weeks, 11 ambulances responding to emergency calls and transporting patients to health facilities were attacked in Mzamomhle, Keiskamahoek, Dimbaza, Peddie, King Williams Town, Alice, Fort Beaufort, Tsholomnqa and Duncan Village. These cases have all been reported to South African Police Services in the relevant police stations. They have also been referred to the crime intelligence and State Security for further, specialized investigation. There have been no fatalities on the attacks. MEC Helen Sauls-August condemns the attacks on the ambulances which endanger lives of both patients and emergency personnel. “Emergency Services is there to save lives of the most vulnerable and indigent people who require urgent medical attention at our health facilities. Attacks on these emergency vehicles means fewer vehicles will be available to respond to emergency calls,” Helen Sauls-August said.... ...

Read More

NHS funding: Theresa May unveils £20bn boost

Jun 17, 2018 0

The NHS in England is to get an extra £20bn a year by 2023 as a 70th “birthday present”, Theresa May says. It means the £114bn budget will rise by an average of 3.4% annually – but that is still less than the 3.7% average rise the NHS has had since 1948. The prime minister said this would be funded partly by a “Brexit dividend”, but also hinted at tax rises. Labour said the government had failed to fund the NHS properly and was relying on a “hypothetical” windfall. Shadow health secretary Jonathan Ashworth said Labour’s taxation plans meant his party could match the Conservatives’ spending plans and “will go further”. In her BBC interview, Mrs May did not spell out how the £20bn a year would be funded but said: “As a country we will be contributing more, a bit more, but also we will have that sum of money that is available from the European Union.” But Commons Health and Social Care Committee chairwoman Sarah Wollaston described the idea... ...

Read More

Angola: Over One Million Cases of Malaria in First Half in Angola

Jun 16, 2018 0

At least 1.5 million cases of malaria that resulted in 3,853 deaths were recorded in the six months in Angola, exceeding the 1.3 million cases in 2016 when the country was hit by yellow fever epidemic. Alike in 2016, the Angolan health authorities described 2018 as an epidemiological year. The provinces of Cuanza Norte, Bengo and Huambo are the most endemic regions, according to data released by the Secretary of State for Health, José Vieira Dias da Cunha. José Dias da Cunha was speaking on the theme “Malaria in Angola in the current context: strategies”, at Methodological Meeting on Malaria. The event gathered more than 300 technicians from 17, of the country’s 18 provinces of Angola. Luanda government and the Ministry of Health launched in May the Contingency Plan for Malaria Control aimed at reducing morbidity and mortality from malaria. The objectives of the plan include meeting World Health Organisation goals, reducing the burden of malaria by 90 percent by 2013, putting Angola on the list of the positive countries in... ...

Read More

Husband jailed for life over parachute murder bid

Jun 16, 2018 0

An Army sergeant has been jailed for life for trying to murder his wife by sabotaging her parachute. Victoria Cilliers, 41, survived a 4,000ft (1,220m) fall at Netheravon airfield, in the UK, in April 2015. South African-born Emile Cilliers, 38, of the Royal Army Physical Training Corps, also tried to kill her by causing a gas leak at the family home.At Winchester Crown Court, Cilliers was told he would have to serve a minimum of 18 years. In sentencing, Mr Justice Sweeney told Cilliers he was “of quite exceptional callousness and a person who would stop at nothing to gratify your own desires”. He described the evidence as “overwhelming” and said Cilliers had three motives.They were the money he thought he would receive in life insurance, the concern that his wife – a senior officer – could ruin his Army career, and because it would clear the way   ...

Read More

Sudan: Vaccines for Children Destroyed As ‘UN Vehicle Abused By Commissioner’ in Sudan’s El Gedaref

Jun 16, 2018 0

Vaccines for children have reportedly been rendered useless after the Commissioner of Gala El Nahal locality in Sudan’s El Gedaref allegedly ordered a temperature-controlled UN vehicle to be used to transport passengers. Voluntary workers of Gala El Nahal locality in El Gedaref hold the locality commissioner responsible for the destruction of “large quantities of immunization vaccines for children”. Activist Hasan Ahmed told Radio Dabanga that the locality commissioner was using the UN vaccination vehicle for organisational purposes for the National Congress Party and the Islamic Movement. Ahmed explained that the locality commissioner ordered the driver of the temperature-controlled vehicle which carries United Nations plates to transport a delegation of sheikhs of the Islamic Movement to El Gedaref for an organisational affair, while the vehicle was loaded with vulnerable vaccines. Ahmed said the vaccines were rendered completely useless due to the high temperature and lack of ice to save them. He pointed out that the locality commissioner prevented the driver of the vehicle from returning to Gala El Nahal to keep... ...

Read More

US child migrants: 2,000 separated from families in six weeks

Jun 16, 2018 0

Almost 2,000 migrant children were separated from their families at the US border over six weeks, officials say. Following a Trump administration crackdown on illegal border crossings from Mexico, adults are being detained, meaning the children with them are removed from their care. The issue is causing a growing political storm in the US. It means that those entering the US irregularly are criminally prosecuted, a change to a long-standing policy of charging most of those crossing for the first time with a misdemeanour offence. As the adults are being charged with a crime and detained, the children that travel with them are being separated and classed as unaccompanied minors. Figures from the US Department of Homeland Security show that 1,995 children were separated from 1,940 adults who are being held between 19 April and 31 May. No information was given on the age of the separated children. The children are passed into the care of the US Department of Health and Human Services. They are transferred to government detention... ...

Read More